When I started my Shopify journey, I wished there was a regular meetup where no one was trying to sell me a solution. But a place that offered a sounding board for my roadblocks where I could meet people like me who could help. This is why I started Monday Merchant Meetups. Each week like-minded Shopify merchants meet up and help each other out. Usually the discussion is guided by a topic of the week.
This week's topic is focused on Accounting and Bookkeeping and we had Brad from Wise Advice as our special guest. Below are the notes that were taken from the meetup.
Monday Merchant Meetups - Accounting and Bookkeeping.
Date: 24 - 08 - 20
Special Guest: Brad from Wiseadvice.co.nz - Ecommerce Accounting
We use Xero for our accounting package with tracked stock. I have read that if we integrate Xero with Shopify that it does not update the quantities in Xero. Is this correct?
That is correct. This is why it's a great idea to use an inventory management software to manage inventory count Recommended Inventory management systems:
Dear Inventory, CIN7, Tradegecko, Stocky, Unleashed [Links Below]
If we integrate to Shopify from Xero what will our Xero invoice look like and how do we amend our tracked stock? Can we edit the Xero invoice, as I presume this will bring across the line items. This could still save us time on manual invoicing.
If you bring line by line items to Xero using the integration then the tracked stock would change
Is there an easy integration of Shopify into Xero for wholesale accounts?
You can use reconcile.ly to send a select group of orders to Xero. The way it presents is based on what your invoice template looks like on Xero.
I use Wholesale Gorilla for wholesale within Shopify at the moment and it’s brilliant.
Main takeaways from today:
- If you are reconciling Shopify to your accounting platform ensure you are reporting Shopify fees separately since it doesn't have GST. Reason is this will clean up your reporting and leave you less exposed if and when you are audited by the IRD.
- Consider registering your business for GST even if you are not at the 60k threshold. Reason is that we anticipate you will eventually cross that threshold. All of a sudden you will have to collect 15%. Will you simply put your prices up? Your customers might not appreciate that and your profitability could come into question. Registering for GST will set you up and will teach you how to run a larger business when eventually you grow.
- Apps to integrate Shopify to Xero: A2X, Reconcile.ly, Xero Bridge
- Inventory in your accounting system at the end of the year is counted as profit so if you are asking where is my money/profit? It's sitting on your shelves. Hence why there are so many end of financial year sales to reduce inventory / profit.
- Working capital is important but you can only report on it if you run good accounts. Ensure you are reporting your inventory position at the start and end of each month.
If you are wanting to do easy reporting on more that just accounting then consider trialing aider.ai
Brad or one of his team can help see if all of your Shopify to Xero integrations are working correctly. This is a free service. Brad and his team are ecommerce accountants and have helped me and my merchants tidy up our integrations. firstname.lastname@example.org
5 Things to think about and review from Brad:
Stocky (Shopify Owned)
Apps to connect Shopify to Xero
Xero Reconciling apps
Receipt Bank (Brads prefered choice)
Dashboard Integrations - Digital Assistant
Shopify Business Cashflow Calculator
Shopify Working Capital Spreadsheet